02 February 2011

Teafusion

After my bout with the Vintage Castleton having a very short peak of deliciousness, I have realized I need to take the time to invest in a tea infuser.

While tea originated in China, the infuser wasn't introduced until tea became popular in England. The first infusers were silver and became popular in the late 19th, early 20th centuries, but have unfortunately since lost a lot of their popularity with the onset of teabags. However, I would argue that tea infusers are picking up momentum with the rediscovery of good tea in America. Most tea bags are made with lower quality leaf remnants (called fannings) that do not compete with the taste of proper loose leaf teas. For a more detailed and eloquent history on tea infusers, go here!

A tea infuser essentially acts as a holder for tea leaves as they steep. Instead of simply dumping the leaves into a pot or cup of tea, the infuser makes clean-up quick and easy. In the case of finicky teas such as the Vintage Castleton, infusers also make it so you can remove the leaves before the tea gets too bitter.

My experience with tea infusers has been limited. I received a one-mug infuser as a gift a long time ago (it has since been retired). It hung on the side of the mug. Now, I need to investigate either basket-type infusers that rest inside the top of the pot, or little bobble infusers (called tea balls) that have a keychain to fish the bobble out of the water once steeped. There are many many other types as well, with funny shapes, designs, etc, but they all have the same central purpose: to help make effortlessly awesome tea!

Here is one of my favorites that I've found in my searches - a shark tea infuser!


http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/design-shark-tea-infuser/

No comments:

Post a Comment