30 January 2011

Vintage Castleton, revisited

So my friend Tyler, with the tea he was going to share with Shaunna and I, finally arrived, so I got to break in my new tea set!

We served it with sugar and milk. Unfortunately, there were a few issues with the tea tasting. First, the cups I have in my set are incredibly small, so a cube of sugar and a splash of milk goes a very long way. Second, this tea seems to have an extremely short "prime time" (I don't know if this is an appropriate term) in that it took forever to become more than just slightly flavored water, but it took only a matter of minutes before it was extremely bitter.

So in the start, I began pouring the tea after about 5 or 6 minutes and it still tasted of sugary milk water more so than tea. By the end, no amount of sugar or milk could rescue the bitter chalkiness of over-steeped tea. The flavor, for the short amount of time that it was perfect, was tasty! But unless I use a removable infuser for this blend in the future, I probably won't be trying it again.

Tyler's tea experience wasn't exactly a good first impression. I really want to take him out and force him to try various teas before he decides tea isn't his thing, though!

On the bright side, we also got to try and read our tea leaves in the bottoms of our cups since we didn't have an infuser. The tea menu from the Chado Tea Room had a tea leaf reading part on the back cover. Unfortunately for me, there was no listing for "seahorse".

No comments:

Post a Comment