29 January 2011

Chado Tea Room

Because one tea service in 48 hours clearly isn't enough, Shaunna and I hit up another tea room per the recommendation, and accompanied by, another friend of ours, Charleen. We went to Chado Tea Room in Pasadena, CA.

Being that I am trying my best to review tea rooms, by default I had to get the tea service! This included a pot of tea, four tea sandwiches, a scone (with jam and clotted cream), and desserts.



My sandwiches consisted of:

  • punjab (a sort of tea-infused egg sandwich, which was quite delicious)
  • smoked salmon (simple and tasty)
  • souchong chicken sandwich (chicken with jam spread - it tasted like Thanksgiving! ... but again, I'm not a huge savour + sweet fan so this sandwich wasn't exactly for me)
  • mediterranean (goat cheese, greens, and nomaliciousness!)



My friends got the tomato soup. I knew I was already going to be exploding from the amount of food and tea served, so I didn't bother with soup or any sort of appetizer. However, by their silence and glazed over eyes, I think the soup was pretty epic.



This is the first scone I've had in a tea room that didn't come with lemon curd. The cream was so delicious with the jam - the fruit was a great touch! The scone was moist, dense, and really good.

The desserts were good - a cookie sandwich of a hazelnut/chocolate spread and a chocolate cake filled with a sort of custard - but I was much too full by this point to even pretend I could eat them.

We enjoyed our waiter. He was nice and helpful when Charleen wasn't sure exactly what sort of tea she wanted. He was also patient with us as we exchanged some sandwiches with others, ordered appetizers and the like. And yes, I know it's his job to do all this - but to do so graciously and in a friendly manner is just all the better!

I was mildly concerned this tea room would be too contemporary or asian for my tastes. I definitely prefer more classic teas, and tea rooms. However, the quaintness mixed with the restaurant-style seating mixed with the tea bar and massive (almost overwhelming) selection of teas actually came together for a really great atmosphere. I would definitely come back here again.

PS. Thank you Charleen for picking up this tea tab! Next one is on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment